Good things, Small Packages: Small Town Thrifts

This week I'm bringing a couple of items to you courtesy of an impromptu journey to the wild boonies of Newmarket (don't ask). Despite the fact that the city consisted of  one mall, several plazas and plenty of farm land, it was a bit of a thrifting mecca. With a Salvation Army, Goodwill and Value Village all within inches of one another.

 
 Since I was there on official business, I didn't get to dive in the way I usually would have (for several hours at the least) but I managed to score some great items nonetheless. Despite the arduous journey, I will definitely be returning to the city  town of Newmarket in the near future to hopefully continue the streak of great finds. 

Any thrifter will tell you that the small towns are often the better places to shop for a multitude of reasons including:

1. Smaller population - You'll find the stores are less picked over, and the demographic tends to be older people who aren't as concerned about trendy items, leaving the floor clear for you to grab amazing finds.

2. Space - Everyone knows that space comes at a premium in the city, but small towns are literally drowning in excess space. The Goodwill I visited in Newmarket was HUGE and not crowded at all.

3. Selection - As I alluded to earlier, since small towns have smaller and older demographics, there is a wealth of selection and many unique items that one could only find in a small town setting.

So without further ado, here's what I found this week:

Leather Cross-Body Bag


This simple black bag with gold detailing is both classic and trendy. This bag can easily be added to a casual or formal outfit.

 Vintage Matching Glassware

I've become a bit of a housewares hoarder as of late, and these classic mugs are the perfect addition to my growing collection. I have no idea where Magnetic Hill is...but no doubt it is a place full of wonderful glassware.

 Over-sized Floral Shirt

Finally, since I haven't bought too many summer items, I finally caved and snagged this over-sized floral print shirt. It is legitimately huge, so I would pair this with legging and a structured jean jacket or vest to maximize its potential.



Have you ever been to a small town thrift shop? How did it compare to city locations? 
That's all for this week folks, happy thrifting!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any thrifty thoughts? Feel free to comment below.