Six Ways to Stop Excess Spending in its Tracks

It's true in life, and it's true in fashion. We are always evolving, aesthetically, emotionally, professionally. So when a friend recently remarked that the sweater I was wearing (a Ralph Lauren men's sweater picked up during my trip to Islington Goodwill) was "so second year Mel" I was reminded of how quickly things change, without our realization. Nowhere was this more apparent than when I passed by my favourite local Goodwill location to see a "For Lease" sign in the window. I guess all good (no pun intended...okay maybe a little) things come to an end. This is especially true as I work through my last semester of undergraduate studies. Two years ago, I never could have pictured how quickly the time would fly by.

The Ralph Lauren sweater in question
Truth be told I don't thrift nearly as much as I used to. Partly because the deliciously low prices lead to unnecessary purchases, and I'm becoming intrigued by the idea of minimalism. Those that know me may laugh at the thought if they've ever encountered my shoe closet, but I now appreciate the idea of doing more with less. 

I'm planning for a major trip this summer and as a result I've been way more prudent with my pocketbook. While I'd love to try almost every new restaurant that BlogTO profiles, I'm learning to be similarly excited about trying new recipes at home and buying bottles of wine sans bar markup. 

Linguine with homemade tomato sauce and Parmesan

While I haven't quite curbed my shoe addiction (one step at a time), I am cutting back on the clothing. It's way easier to appreciate what you have when it's not being eclipsed by a new, seemingly more exciting purchase every week. Transitions aren't always easy, but here a few tips I've found to be helpful along the way:

Tips for Frugal February

  • Unsubscribe from retail emails - They encourage unnecessary purchases, and take up valuable inbox space.
  • Use cash whenever possible - It's easier to keep track of spending when you can physically see money diminishing.
  • Stop to think - Always ask " Do I really need this now?" If you can wait, then you should.
  • Resist using the 'Tap' function on credit cards - Convenience creates temptation to spend. Just ask Adam and Eve how temptation worked out for them...
  • Save - It's cliche to say, but things truly do add up. If you take your morning latte money and squirrel it away, you'll be surprised at how fast your savings accumulate.
  • Invest in a budget system - Keeping track of spending is integral to changing habits. There is something extremely sobering about seeing your spending itemized and organized. There are tons of free apps that make the process super simple, so take advantage. I'm currently using Pocket Expense. It has a clean interface and is extremely handy for the less mathematically inclined (aka me). 
 If all else fails, remember the mantra:

"Sales always come back"

I worked retail. Trust me, it's true.


What are your tried and true saving tips? How do you stay stylish on a budget?

Let me know below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any thrifty thoughts? Feel free to comment below.