Value Village: Mid-week Mini Haul


One of the perks of having an extremely early class on Tuesday mornings is that it forces me to be productive. So after class, instead of dutifully returning home to complete the mounds of homework that have somehow accumulated post-midterm time, my friend Nam and I ventured into the sunny streets to get our thrift on at Value Village.

 We usually visit the Value Village at Bloor and Lansdowne in Toronto because it's fairly large and in charge and I always leave with something interesting.

I spent the bulk of my trip in the housewares, books and 'miscellaneous' aisles, and it was refreshing to say the least. Partially because the housewares section is more spacious, meaning I can roll my obnoxiously stuffed cart through the aisles with less cut-eye from other patrons when I attempt to squeeze by.

So without further ado, here's what I found:

                   Yashica AutoFocus S 35mm Film Camera


This camera was hidden on the bottom shelf among some plates (someone's clever attempt at hiding it, methinks), it came complete with a carrying case and batteries. Bought for: $9.99

Floral Cropped Jacket




Floral will always have a place in my heart for summer. This cropped jacket will look great paired with some high waist denim shorts and a basic tank. Or even over a simple dress if that's how you get down. Bought for: $6.99

Crushed Velvet Pencil Skirt

 

Total 90s throwback. This crushed velvet skirt can be dressed up or down, and is the perfect statement piece thanks to the textured detailing. Plus burgundy seems to be the colour du jour these days. Bought for: $7.99

                                    Black and White Art

For my premier foray into the art world, I stumbled upon this lovely sketch. At risk of sounding cheesy...this totally 'spoke' to me for some unknown reason.It was part of a set with another picture, but considering this was my splurge of the day I decided to stick with this one piece. Bought for: $14.99


I wish I bought: Vintage Singer Sewing Machine


 This vintage Singer sewing machine was calling my name. Too bad my sewing skills are abysmal...there's always next time. Even though I'm sure a gem like this was probably snatched up the second I left the store.

Thrifting Reflections
What I'm beginning to learn about thrifting is that less can be more. Sometimes, finding a few key pieces is good enough. Especially since Value Village tends to be on the higher end price wise as far as thrift stores go, at least in my experience. All in all, I think it was a successful day nonetheless.
  
 Which department do you usually visit first at the thrift store? Which piece did you like best from my mini haul? 

3 comments:

  1. The floral cropped jacket is gold, you could so pull it off. Plus, pattern on pattern is in for spring and summer! Amazing finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog, I live in England and we dont have value village or goodwill, wish we did.
    Danii

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Danielle, thanks for reading! Are charity shops similar to what we have over here?

    ReplyDelete

Have any thrifty thoughts? Feel free to comment below.