Wardrobe Staple: Loafers

Every person has go-to items in their closet. Things guaranteed to look good with little effort. Items you've worn for so long you can barely recall a time when they weren't in your closet. These staple items seem to form the backbone of any wardrobe.

Thrifting has allowed me to cultivate a pretty solid repertoire of staple items. Sometimes I even question how other people could have possibly donated certain items that are amazing, but then I remember the essence of thrifting. Transcending how an item has been previously thought about and re-imagining it in a way that suits your own personal style needs. A kind of salvation.



My philosophy: Let items grow on you

 You have to picture how you can make a piece suit your own personal wardrobe, even if an idea doesn't seem clear right away.  Many items are diamonds in the rough that may sometimes need modification (hemming, cutting, shredding, dip dyeing etc.) or simply an open mind. 

Staple Piece: Loafers


I purchased these leather loafers at Goodwill two years ago on a whim. My local Goodwill's shoe section leaves much to be desired, and since I have large Sasquatch feet (shout out to fellow size 10 ladies!) I generally do not have much luck in the shoe department. Luckily these loafers fit and were in pretty decent shape, save for the fact that the soles were completely worn out. So I had to bring these bad boys over to the cobbler for some TLC


The right foot lost the tassle detail somewhere along the way..at least it adds character!
They came out looking amazing, but they still had that worn-in quality that made me appreciate them in the first place. I like to imagine they belonged to a nice grandpa...a fashion loving grandpa.


What's your go-to closet staple piece?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any thrifty thoughts? Feel free to comment below.