From White to Bright: Dip-Dyeing Thrifted Items


I'm a big believer in impulse. Well at least when it comes to creative endeavours. I've found that there's no better way to learn than to jump right in. Sure, I've made colossal mistakes, but in the end it's all part of the DIY game.The best way to switch things up is to work with what you already have (especially if you're a broke college student, like me). Which is why I ended up dip-dyeing half my wardrobe at 10:30 on a Wednesday night.

The dye I used
It all started with a canvas bag that I was gifted with from a friend.

 Besides the fact that is after Labour day, I consider myself too clumsy of a person to be in possession of many white items. So I decided, prepare to dye.

I tried to read some tutorials on the dyeing process, but since it was already 10:30 at night, I threw caution to the wind and began my dyeing process with relatively no instruction. Here are my steps (although I would caution you to actually read something on proper dying techniques prior to beginning)

Pre-Dye


Post-dye. (Taken with my Nikon D40)

 Dip-Dyeing A La Salvage Cadence

1. Boil a large [soup] pot of water (enough to hold 2-3 gallons) and add in a teaspoon of salt before it reaches a rolling boil.

2. Once you see steam rising from your water, take out approximately two cups and mix it separately with [one full packet] of dye. Then pour your 'dyed' water back into the pot. 
Thrifted Blue Jeans...More pics to come
*It will look darker in the pot than it does on your clothes, do not be alarmed at the colour in the pot.

3. When steam begins to rise, turn off the stove. Let the pot sit with the dyed water.You don't want to boil your clothes....unless you're into the sort of thing.

4. Now that the dye is prepared, rinse the item you will be dyeing in warm water, making sure to cover all areas. Wetting the fabric ensures the colour will permeate the fabric better.

5. Now proceed to dip your fabric, making sure all areas are equally distributed in the dye water. I left my fabrics in for about five minutes, but adjust the time based on the effect you want.

6. TRY NOT TO GET DYE WATER  ALL OVER YOURSELF. Cautionary tale: my nails now look like they belong to smurfs.

7. Rinse your dyed fabric under warm water until the water runs clear, then hang to dry. I hung mine on the balcony so all the neighbours could be jealous of my freshly dyed fabrics.

8. After you dry your dyed items, toss them in the laundry to seal in the dye. 
*Do not put dyed items in laundry with your regular clothes the first time you launder them, or you're gonna have a bad time.

Also I must warn you that dip-dyeing is highly addictive. I started out with one canvas bag, and by the end of the process, I had dyed two shirts, the canvas bag and a pair of jeans.
The aftermath of my dip-dye bender


clothing,dip-dye,blue
Hung out to dry


This white shirt...(in a really grainy iPhone photo...woops)
Became this dip-dyed shirt

Finished Items

Update: Here are the finished products. Thanks to the fact that I didn't thoroughly research, most of the white turned to light blue when I put it in the wash (how did that not dawn on me before?!) but I am still happy with the results.

Ombre denim shirt thrifted from Goodwill


These didn't dye to heavily because I put them in towards the end of the dye, still love them though

White floral shirt becomes light blue ombre floral shirt
Floral dip-dyed shirt just catching some sun

Mesh thrifted sweater dip-dyed

Hopefully you'll be inspired to engage in some DIY dip-dyeing of your own soon (hopefully with a bit more skill than me ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any thrifty thoughts? Feel free to comment below.